IDE and photo privacy question

jjsofun

20 Feb, 2019 04:52 PM

Hi,

First just FYI, installation was a breeze. I have Family Connections running on Bluehost shared hosting using PHP 5.4+ settings. Bluehost supports up to 7.

I am curious if you recommend a specific IDE for making changes. I may take a stab at some template work but want to remain compatible with your project. If you use an IDE what is it?

I was able to make the recommend changes to folder location and inc/config_inc.php modification. In the administration configuration under photo gallery it showed the photos as protected.

However when I went to upload an avatar it returns a php write error. The folders have the recommend 777 file/folder permissions set.

The uploads folder was in the public_html directory on the webserver as suggested. Have you heard of this before? Is this solely something wrong with my setup or host provider?

I plan to keep researching but I wanted to ask if you had an answer or a suggestion for me so I don't end up chasing my tail.

BTW, thank you for your work on this and allowing public use of it.

Have a great day!
James

1. 1 Posted by jjsofun on 20 Feb, 2019 06:04 PM

Hi,

I was able to resolve the PHP upload error. I still have the question remaining about the IDE.

For those interested in what worked here was my solution.

When editing the config_inc.php I had an incorrect path. I also placed my 'uploads' folder in the public_html folder instead of the ROOT of my web server. Putting it in the public_html folder defeats the purpose of hiding the uploads.

The correct path at least on Bluehost will be something like the following.

'UPLOADS', '/homeX/your_hosting_acct_ID/uploads/');

'homeX' is a bluehost designation. Yours could be any possible one. Usually they are numbers like 'home3', 'home5', etc.

'your_hosting_account_ID' is the ID that Bluehost assigns to your account. This will be displayed in your path information in File Manager via cPanel.

'public_html' is the designation that Bluehost uses instead of the default 'www' that most LAMP stacks assign.

I was overthinking this. So it was my bad. Getting the correct path info was the cure for me.

I'm leaving my original post instead of editing it as it may help others. We all make silly mistakes when we can't see the forest for the trees. Hope this was helpful.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ryan Haudenschi... on 22 Feb, 2019 01:44 PM

Sorry for the late response.

I'm glad you figured this out, and I use VIM mostly to write all my code.

3. Ryan Haudenschilt closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2019 01:44 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

19 Apr, 2019 12:58 PM
18 Apr, 2019 03:28 PM
18 Apr, 2019 03:15 PM